No matter how well I look after a candle's wick I can never get it to burn evenly. That's a bit rubbish when you finish your candle and are left with remnants around the inside of the jar, so, I had an idea!
I much prefer using a good old wax tart where possible anyways...I dunno why, but while scraping out the extra wax to clean out the glass I thought that I'd melt it down and make my own wax tart!! (Probably not that much of an ingenious idea to most of you but I was pretty chuffed when it popped into my head.)
It's super simple, though if you are accident prone like me do be careful! Here we go...
1. Use an old teaspoon (or an equally useful kitchen utensil) to gently break away the excess wax from the candle's jar.
2. Once you have it all out and into a glass bowl, use the edge of the spoon to cut it into smaller pieces.
3. Fill a pan with water and place the bowl within it. Heat on the hob until it just reaches boiling point and then turn down the heat.
4. Now please be careful, I don't want anyone's parents writing to me complaining that you've gotten 3rd degree burns. My bowl was slightly smaller than my pan and so as the water bubbled it splattered and I had to dance like a cowboy to avoid it, while steadily stirring the wax until it turns completely to liquid.
5. Using oven gloves (or whatever you use to take your chicken nuggets out of the oven) carefully remove the bowl from the pan and before it sets pour it into your tiny little oil burner bowl thing :)
You could also use any kind of little ramekin that is of equal size or smaller than what you will be burning your wax tart in.
6. Transfer to the fridge and leave to set for as long as possible. Preferably overnight.
Ta-da! You have a home made wax tart ready to use and have used up the rest of a candle that may of otherwise been thrown out! Woo hoo for recycling. I hope you've found this somewhat interesting or useful, I'm pretty sure I haven't seen any posts or anything like this around, although it is a very simple idea and I'm sure there are.
Are you a candle burning person, a wax tart melter or both? And what are your favorite scents?? The one in the photos is Vanilla Cupcake - yum!